The Indian Super League
The Indian Super League was founded in 2013 by the All India Football Federation. It now consists of ten teams from across India. They include:
- ATK from Kolkata
- Bengaluru from Bangalore
- Chennaiyin from Chennai
- Delhi Dynamos from Delhi
- Goa from Margao
- Jamshedpur from Jamshedpur
- Kerala Blasters from Kochi
- Mumbai City from Mumbai
- NorthEast United from Guwahati
- Pune City from Pune
The competition format does not use a promotion and relegation system but like the MLS it uses a format designed to grow the league. So far only two teams have won the league ATK and Chennaiyin. The season runs between September and March.
So, the Indian Super League might not be the largest league in the world. The Premier League, the Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A claim that title. However there are a number of advantages and disadvantages to betting on the ISL compared to some of the bigger leagues.
Advantages of betting on the ISL
- Beating the bookies: The betting companies' knowledge of the leagues will be less sophisticated that the other major leagues. By this we mean both the computer-intelligence and human knowledge. The computer algorithms that are fed with statistics and data to produce odds will be working with a lot less when it comes to an ISL game compared with a Premier League game. This is, in part, a result of there being less data being available for a smaller league and, in part, down to the fact that the league has only existed for a few years. This means that if you are clued up on the ISL, or better yet, watch the games live, then you will stand a much better chance of 'beating the machines' than if you were betting on the Premier League. This also applies for beating the experts at the betting companies. Usually, for a Premier League game, the odds provided for a major bet would a combination of computers and human knowledge. However, each company will have limited manpower and the reality is that they will focus their efforts on the larger games, giving you the edge.
The computer algorithms that are fed with statistics and data to produce odds will be working with a lot less when it comes to an ISL game compared with a Premier League game.
- Smaller format - less effort 10 teams, four years of stats to go by. It sounds much more manageable than betting on La Liga doesn't it?
- Live streaming opportunities: Many betting sites offer live-streaming alongside its sportsbook section. When it comes to the Premier League, for example, the broadcasting rights will cost too much for any of the betting sites currently in the market. So, you are much more likely to find the ISL streamed at the major betting sites than you would the other major leagues. Bet365 are a popular site for live streaming the ISL.
- Time: For Indian customers the timing of the games are obviously much more convenient than the European games. Also, for European customers it is the perfect opportunity to do a bit of midday betting!
Disadvantages of betting on the ISL
- Less bets to choose from: The downside of betting on a league less popular than some of the Euopean leagues is that the betting sites will offer a smaller range of bets. However, you should find a pretty good selection at most of the major betting sites.
- A smaller selection of betting sites
- Not all Betting sites allow Indian customers. This is an unfortunate fact, but you will still find many offshore sites, based in Malta, for example, who will offer services for Indian customers.
Best betting sites for Indian Super League
Depositing with Rupees
Using a card is usually the preferred method for betting customers. Using a Visa or MasterCard, will incur the smallest fees, the shortest waiting times and is generally the most secure.
However, it is unlikely that the major betting sites will accept Visa or MasterCards belonging to Indian customers.
If your Visa or MasterCard is not accepted then the next best thing is to use an e-wallet such as Neteller or Skrill.
They are both regulated and trustworthy payment options. You can read more about them here:
Is it legal to bet on the ISL in India?
This is difficult to answer. The law leaves it up to interpretation. The law can also vary from state to state. However, if you use a reputable betting site you will be ok.
Which betting site works the best when depositing Rupees?
There are a number of good sites. However, Bet365 probably pips it when comes to experience with the Rupee.
Which is better Neteller or Skrill
They are both excellent. Neteller is more ubiquitous in India, as many freelancers use it as a method of getting paid.