Why no credit cards?
Credit cards were for a long time one of the preferred options for deposits at online betting sites. However, in April 2020, the United Kingdom imposed a ban on using credit cards for online gambling in order to decrease the number of problem gamblers. The underlying reason being that 22% of individuals using their credit card for gambling were problem gamblers.
However, using debit cards, such as VISA or Mastercard, is still allowed.
Top VISA/Mastercard betting sites
100% up to £100
£/$/€10 min deposit using promo code “TOP100” - The bonus will be applied once the full deposit amount has been wagered at least twice with cumulative odds of 1.5 or greater. Wagering must be cleared within 60 days. This offer may not be combined with any other offer. Withdrawal, payment methods and country restrictions, and Full T&C’s apply
£10 Free Bet
New UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card & Paypal deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. Full Terms apply. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.
£20 Risk Free Bet
New customers only. Min odds 1/5 (1.2). If you place a multiple at least one selection must meet the min odds requirement. Max £20 refund. Payment restrictions apply. Qualifying bet must be placed and settled within 30 days of account opening. T&Cs apply.
Bet £10 Get £15 Free Bet
18+, Welcome Bonus: New Players only, 1st Deposit, Min Deposit: £10, max £15 free bet valid for 14 days, bets must be placed at odds of 1/1 or greater and be settled within 14 days of placement. System bets not eligible.
Bet £10 Get a £20 Surprise Bet
New customers & 18+ only. Min. deposit of £10. Qualifying real money bet of £10. Min odds greater than or equal to 1.5 required. E/W bets excluded. Offer credited within 48 hours. Additional T&Cs apply. Please gamble responsibly.
Why use debit cards for online betting?
There are several good reasons for using debit cards as the payment method for online betting. First and foremost, it is the most widely used one, which makes it likely that any betting site you choose will offer it, but there are many reasons more.
- Instant deposits
- You can claim the welcome offer
- Fast withdrawals
- Have to share card details
- Speed of transactions: Depositing should be instant and you'll get one of the fastest withdrawal rates. If you are a UK based customers you should be looking at withdrawal process times of maximum 24 hours. However, this can of course vary depending on the bank and betting site.
- Convenience: Every betting site will accept a visa or Mastercard registered in a country that it accepts customers from. It's the default payment methods for most customers. If you are using other methods it is usually because you can't use your particular bank with the betting site.
- Cost: There should be no extra fees on transactions at any of the online betting sites. Unlike a lot of the other methods which will charge you a percentage of your transaction.
- Trust: It is the most trusted method of payment. Visa or Mastercard are not some shady online payment method you found online. They are huge institutions that are trusted by your bank as well as the bookies.
The disadvantage of using a debit card ahead of other payment methods is primarily the security. Although regarded as a very safe way of depositing money, you will have to share your card details with the bookie.
This is not the case when for example using an e-wallet like Paypal, Neteller or Skrill.
VISA/Mastercard for sign up offers
For many, the biggest advantage of depositing money with a VISA or Mastercard is that you can claim the welcome offer, unlike using Neteller or Skrill for example.
The reason being that it is easy for the bookmaker to determine where the money comes from as the card is issued in your name. Determining where the money comes from is required by law, to work against money laundering.
In the case of e-wallets, it is hard for the bookie to know exactly where the money comes from, and therefore they, in general, don’t hand out bonus offers for such deposit methods.
How to deposit money using VISA or Mastercard
It is very easy to deposit money with a debit card.
- Choose a debit card as your payment method and enter your details.
- Select the amount you want to deposit and accept.
- The transaction is normally instant.
How to withdraw money using VISA or Mastercard
Similarly to depositing with a debit card, it is a straightforward process to withdraw money. However, there might be some obstacles on the way.
In order to make your first withdrawal, you will have to verify your identity. This is usually done by sending a photo of a valid ID and a bill from no longer than 3 months back. Check your bookie for specific instructions.
When this is done, the withdrawal will normally be in your bank account within 24 hours if you are based in the UK.
You are required to make a withdrawal with the same method as you made the deposit. If you did not make a deposit with a debit card, you cannot use a debit card for the withdrawal.
FAQ about VISA/Mastercard
What betting sites accept credit cards?
Since the ban on credit cards in the UK that was imposed in April 2020, no UK betting sites accept credit cards. However, debit cards are still a valid payment method.
What betting sites accept debit cards?
We have yet to find any reliable bookie that does not accept debit cards such as VISA or Mastercard for deposits and withdrawals.
Are you charged any fees when depositing or withdrawing with VISA/Mastercard?
No, you are not charged with any fees.
Are debit cards safe?
Yes, debit cards are regarded as very safe payment options.